Saturday 12 November 2016

What I like about Japan so far

People talk about the Japanese being so polite and courteous. Is it all real?

Well I think it's in the culture and the upbringing.

Thing is, you always feel safe wandering about.

The streets are generally quite clean and yet you hardly find any garbage bins as you walk about.

Remember these bicycle locks? There are bicycle parking lots with security but you also see lots of bikes 'locked' along the streets with just these simple locks. The ones I remember from my childhood. I gather there is not a lot of theft.

Cleaning the street in front of the office or so before the stay of a new work day.

Off to school with the older kids shepherding the little ones in the middle. 

You have J-pop and that's really popular not just with the younger ones but also the older folks. From what I can gather jpop is all about fun and dancing, much like the Stock Aitken and Waterman music mill from the 80s. Formulaic but sells to a nation that needs to be uplifted. 

Putting some of it all together tells a little bit about what being Japanese is all about and why foreigners find them so polite and courteous. I think.

So what do I like about Japan so far? I think it's s little bit of nostalgia of days gone pay when things were a lot simpler and you can go about your business without worrying too much about what you need to be careful about or being extra vigilant over everything. I think.  

No comments:

Post a Comment